Monday, July 25, 2011

Ode to Old Timey Photography

I adore photography. I adore all styles of photography, except for the fashion/commercial world's obscene use of Photoshop to body shave celebrities/models. I found these gorgeous photos from Daniel A. Carrillo. He uses a photography technique originally used in the mid 1850's called the Collodion Process, also known as a Wet Plate Collodion process.

Photoshop is an amazing tool, but even it cannot produce the beauty found in these photos. I love the coloring, the tone, and the feel, but most of all I love how this process brings out the majestic quality of the eyes. Each of these photos have a similar, yet completely different feel. While the poses may be similar, the subject's eyes bring in their personalities. It's as if you can read their desires and fears through the photograph. I am enchanted.

I'd love to see this process used on Sam Elliot, Clint EastwoodFlorence WelchZooey Deschanel, and me (of course).  Mr. Carrillo has a show at the Greg Kucera Gallery in May 2012. I hope I find myself in Seattle around that time. Here are some more photos to enjoy...



No comments:

Post a Comment