Thursday, October 6, 2011

What Should I Drop My Paycheck on Today?

Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen have a line of luxury clothing called The Row. I admit, I watched the super cheesy show Full House when I was a kid, never fully grasping how absolutely obnoxious it was. I think it's pretty cool that the Olsen twins (I'm sure they hate being referred to as that, but I don't know them and they don't know me, so who cares) were able to avoid the curse of the child actors and create a very lucrative career for themselves. However, why do they make these "I'm so much richer and better than you piddly little minion" smirks on their face every time a camera appears? It makes me want to bang their heads together. Do they have bad teeth? Bad breath? No teeth? Can't they give a "I'm a kind person and it's nice of you to take an interest in me" smile. Is that so difficult? Seriously, try to find a smiling picture of them. This is the only one I found and they're probably just laughing at an inside joke about all of the "little people" buying their book.

But, I digress. Their fashion line, The Row, has apparently had their first item sell out and they report having a difficult time keeping up with the demand. What is this said gem? This...
This backpack retails between $35,000 and $39,000 dollars. (Yes, I know because I put the $ sign I don't technically have to write dollars at the end of the sentence, but it "sounds" funny if I don't. Yes, I also know I'm quirky. Carry on!) First and foremost, I'm not a fan of the backpack purse, it just reminds me of the 80s and middle school. Yet, to each their own. Secondly, who in the world can afford to drop that kind of cash or a backpack that will eventually find it's way to a public bathroom floor, a restaurant floor, or crammed in the trunk of a car. And Finally, isn't there something more productive you could spend that kind of money on? Even if I had that kind of cash flow I don't think I would spend it on a bag. Yes, I have expensive taste, but I know my budget allows for Target purchases, Express if I'm lucky. (Why did I go into Education?) Even if one day I find that I'm talented enough and lucky enough to be able write full time, sell some movie rights, and perhaps when a lottery jackpot, I still don't think I'd be able to bring myself to make such a purchase. This world is a crazy place indeed.   
p.s. Check out their site and you'll see another example of the Fugly Model trend. Igk.

No comments:

Post a Comment